（108 年）朝陽科技大學 華語中心 -Visa Guidance
For visa application, please visit the nearest Republic of China embassy, consulate or representative office to apply for an extendable Taiwanese visitor visa. Required documents include the Admission Approval Letter (offered by Language Center), the passport valid for over six months, a recent passport photo, and a filled-in application form (obtained from the representative office in your country or downloaded HERE). Separate visas are required for a spouse or other dependents accompanying you. They may be asked to provide an Affidavit of Support. Please note the following things:
- A Chinese name is optional.
- Address and Telephone Number in Taiwan can be the same as those of Language Center, TEL: 886-4-23323000, FAX: 886-4-23329898
- Particulars of Reference in Taiwan can be Patricia Su, Director of Language Center, Chaoyang University of Technology, 168, Jifeng E. Rd., Wufeng District, Taichung, 41349 Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Please ensure your visa is an extendable visitor visa of 60 days.
- Please include a note on your visa that you will be a student in Language Center.
Applicants with non-extendable visas need to leave the country and apply for the proper extendable visa before pursuing language studies. Changing the visa status in Taiwan is not possible. Holders of visitor visas are not allowed to assume employment; violators will be deported. Regarding opening bank accounts, holders of visitor visas need to bring both visas and passports for identification while holders of resident visas may bring their visas and Alien Resident Certificate (ARC).
Visa application through Language Center, in case of necessity, takes around 4-6 weeks. We will offer the original Admission Approval Letter.
Students need to inform Language Center of their expiration date at least 2 weeks prior to the expiration so that the documents will be prepared for visa extension. However, students with the following conditions will NOT receive the necessary documents for visa extension.
- Taking courses lesser than 12 hours a week
- Accumulating absences more than one quarter, 1/4, of one semester
- Violating school regulations or ROC law
Holders of visitor visas have to apply for extension within 10 days prior to the expiration date. Requirement documents include a Document Request Form and the Enrollment and Attendance Certificate (offered by Language Center) and 2 extensions, 60 days for each extension, can be expected.
Toward the end of 120 days, after getting 2 granted visa extensions, holders of multiple entry visas need to leave Taiwan and re-enter and the visa will be renewed for another 60 days automatically. Holders of single entry visas need to leave or re-apply the visa of the country as the next destination.
For visa extension you need the following:
- An application form (obtained from the police station or the office)
- The supporting document clarifying the purpose of the extension (Enrollment and Attendance Certificate; apply at the CYUT Language Center Office and allow minimum one working day)
- The original passport and a copy of it (only for the first extension)
- A copy of the page with the extendable visa (only for the first extension)
- A copy of the student ID card (only for the first extension)
- An apartment or housing contract to verify residential address in Taiwan (for each extension)
- Alien visitors who enter the ROC with a visa exemption may not apply for extension.
- Aliens with a visitor visa, which stated “No Extension Will Be Granted” issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, may not apply for extension.
- Maximum two 60-day extensions will be granted to the holder of a visitor visa, allowing for a maximum stay of 180 days or six months for each visitor visa.
- Late application for extending a visa (overstaying your visa) may result in a fine and a forced trip abroad to apply for a new visa.
- Students who have been in Taiwan for six months and have not applied for or have not been granted an ARC must leave the country.
- It is impossible to change a single-entry Visitor Visa into a multiple-entry Visitor Visa.
- The Language Center will not issue the necessary documents under any of the following conditions:
- students do not take a minimum of 12 hours a week.
- students have accumulated absences of one-quarter (1/4) or more of their course load hours for the current term (not including mourning leave nor business leave)
- students have violated the ROC law or school regulations.
After 6 months without Application for an ARC
At the end of six months (after you have extended the maximum of two times permitted), it is necessary to leave the country and then re-enter, at which time the visa is automatically renewed for sixty days if it is a multiple entry visa. If you are the holder of a single entry visa, you will have to reapply in the country of your travel destination at the Republic of China representative office with an Enrollment and Attendance Certificate that should be obtained from the LC Office before departure.